Moving Forward

I might be one of the many representing youth today: just graduate, landing on the very first job, and still green. Slowly learning how the world is moving today, half-planning and half-guessing how it will work tomorrow, and finally, for the first time of our life: we're on our own.

Or not.

I've been long wondering about the hierarchical family system in Indonesia, where parents hold every single command. Top to bottom. Years go by and we changed a little bit, but family--parents--still take a big part of deciding and solving matters, especially for youth who's still 'green'. 

There are some people I know letting their kids grow up as what they want and give all support needed. Contrary to people beliefs, support doesn't always means money. It is knowledge and tale of experience that weigh more as an inspirational source for mental and character building, which is essential for life survival as a human being. Lack of those things in parenting could lead to a loop hole of monetized life: because money is all they could give, money is all their offspring could understand. 

A great support, in the other hand, will usually ends to a recognizable result: a human being full of integrity and humanity without any much hubris. 

But many examples I've seen throughout my life is as follows: children who are moved by parents for a lifetime, starting from kindergarten to marriage life with three kids. Parents pay for their children schools, after-school activities, universities, secured job placements, wedding bills, first house, first cars, and even kids expense for the first grandchildren--and feel proud about it. You feel like doing your job as a parent. You feel like it should be done because you're the children. It ticked me because simply--are learning about how to independently get a life is not important to you?

Some people are privileged with wealth, and wish to support families all the way up. This is fine. What people tend to forget, is wealth does not fall voluntarily from the bright morning sky to their very lap; it is collected by hard work of generations. Maybe their father started it. Or the grandfather. Or the great-great-great-grandfather. But in my experience, those who are successful agree that wealth is not a legacy; ability of survival is. This will be difficult to explain for those who doesn't share the same spirit.

I was graduated four months ago and accepted at job three weeks after that. That short? No. I've been hunting for a job months before, taking test, going through interviews, making loads of crappy resume and pouring all my brain into cover letters. It was research, then undergraduate thesis, then workloads. I practically has no holiday after campus life, but this is exactly what I've been thinking about before. I'm slowly getting on my own.

I've never been romantic about parents. My parents is the way I was born. My parents is the reason why I am me right now. But someday we will respect each other as partner who talks about future life as it happens. We will share the same type of experience in different eras. We will laugh at stupid memories. We will be moving forward as the cycle repeats.

Moving forward to where I am right now: commuting 4 to 8 hours a day, sit in the office, kicking my own ass to close deals, receive a stable paycheck just to see it disappear to every other expenses at the end of the month--hey, it's life. I'm still privileged for having parents that is supportive. For having partner that completes the fight. For being a part of great business with millions opportunity to grow. For having the very first boss that is brilliant and inspiring. I can't thank God enough.

Because no matter how hard the journey is, it all depends to yourself to fend it. Life happens and all we need to do is keep moving forward.

Comments

Popular Posts